Saturday, May 7, 2011

Down on the farm

This week I had the chance to join Maddie's class on a field trip to Pomeroy Farm. It was a nice day, albeit a tad drizzly. The farm is a living history site and is operated just as it was in the 1920's. The kids got to practice chores typical of a farm kid and got to make wax candles in the traditional manner. It was a fun learning experience but most of all I got to spend a great day with my kiddo. Enough talk; on with the pictures!

 pre-tenders

 cute five week old cow

 feeding the goats

grinding corn for feeding chickens
 Ham and Bacon. No seriously; that's their names.
And what they'll be in the fall!
 Stupid phone camera has no zooom. That's a horse.

 Butter Churnin'

 Scenery. I could get used to a view like this.
There's a waterfall out there; it looks like a speck here.

Maddie and her hand-dipped candle.
She made it herself!

I count myself lucky to have spent the day learning and exploring with Maddie and her classmates. I was chaperone to a group of six, including her. They were great and all seemed to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment