Sunday, October 9, 2011

Days are getting shorter, runs are getting longer

It's fall. Here in the NorthWet (not a typo) that means we get about 45 minutes of daylight each day, all of it filled with rain.
I'm sooo excited

While sane most people retreat to the warm confines of home and sip coffee while predicting the next indie rock phenomenon, others don headlamps and rain jackets to keep running. Up until this year I was a happy citizen of the former category, and have the iTunes playlist to prove it.  
Not the next big thing...Can't pick 'em all

This year, though, things are different. I want to run. Heck, I NEED to run. I have been consistently increasing my miles and really want to keep it up through the crappy season. I've signed up for a 5k at the end of this month, am eyeing one for November/December and have set my sights on a Spring half-marathon. I've found that having specific goals keeps me motivated and on track. Especially once I've paid the registration fee. 
Those paper numbers aren't free, ya know

So yeah; I've become one of "them." I have my headlamp, my screaming yellow, reflective trimmed rain jacket and, well, still no shoes so far (but we'll see how I manage as it gets wetter and colder). I've even thought of coming up with a *shudder* training plan (I KNOW, right!? who is this guy?). I have no delusions of grandeur; I just want to test myself and see how well I can do. 

We'll see. Next time we'll talk about how running and teaching go together like peanut butter and jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment