Thursday, December 29, 2011

another milepost

Today I increased my mileage by half. that's right, I ran a whole three-quarters of a mile (.76 to be exact. Hey; I paid for that Garmin, I may as well use it). For those of you who haven't given up on this blog, please mark your scorecard as follows: shoes 2, barefeet 0.

Don't get cocky. You can be replaced with nothing. Seriously. Have you been reading?

It seems I am on the way back from injuryville. the road is bumpy and long, though, and the going is slow. The foot/toe still aches a bit, but not as bad or for as long. I've been a good little convalescent over the holidays and my doctor didn't tell me not to run; he just said to use a more protective shoe (you can see where this is going...) and since 98% of my miles in the last 8 months were barefoot I could have run in flip flops and been in compliance. Ever the overachiever, I got a pair of "real" running shoes, took two weeks off and started back slow. I'll feel confident I've done it right and can push for more answers.

I'm a super patient (not really).
That's all great, but the best part of this whole day is the fact that Madzilla, my 9year old daughter, decided to start running and went out for her very first run with me today. It was such a big deal and she did awesome, running about a third of a mile or so. She did an even better job of selecting her new running shoes and ran approximately a half marathon around the store in order to assess each pair of shoes she tried.
So proud!

I think that's one of the things I love about running: the fact that I can share it with anybody, but most of all my family. My wife's a runner, and now Mads is showing interest. I'm pretty sure GoGo will run us all into the ground by the time it's all said and done. This gives me joy and hope for a long and healthy family run (some puns can't be stopped. Sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment