Saturday, December 24, 2011

Stir Crazy

I'm beginning to think the Shining was a true story.

c'mon, seriously; just a quick loop around the block!

I'm 'bout to lose my mind. Sure, it's not like I'm stranded and cut off from the outside world; I just can't go running. Which may be worse. I find myself easily irritated and crabby the longer this progresses (my wife is a saint, by the way; allowing me to slack keep my foot up and rest like the doctor I don't like said).  I'm antsy and lethargic all at the same time. The only saving grace is that I haven't gained 150 pounds. Yet. 

Yeah; I heard you the first time

Despite all my disillusioned ranting, I really miss barefoot running. That hit me like a ton of bricks last night. I was wearing my Warrior Dash T-shirt at dinner and my brother in law said I should add "barefoot" to the "I survived the warrior dash" tag line on the back. Now, I don't associate barefoot running with badassery or proving anything; but it is something that I am proud of, a topic I'll address in a later post. Until I got hurt it was the single best stretch of running I have had in years decades (yes, I'm old enough to measure that).  

And about that injury: it was a freak accident thing. I was running in a race/event (hard to call something I participate in a race) and stepped on either a rock or some busted up pavement the wrong way and bruised or otherwise injured my foot. It isn't a chronic use or pavement pounding-type injury (I think). I've been wearing cushioned shoes a lot and trying to keep pressure off my owie, but don't love  the long term prospects of going this way. I think I'll be seeking out a new doctor next week, as current doc doesn't run and didn't seem to have an open mind about, well, anything. I'm researching my provider network to find those that list active pursuits in their "healthy living" bio in hopes that one will have room for new patients and an open outlook on alternative sports pursuits...
it hurts right there.

Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and/or whichever other winter holiday you may be celebrating. Hug your family and enjoy the moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment