Friday, June 10, 2011

Gah! stupid rock

I mean, if I were fit, sure. That ain't me

It was bound to happen. Running progress slowed again due to hurty bits. I think this is an injury from just before I kicked off the shoes. I was trail running more and stubbed a toe. The change in stride and landing more on my toe/ball of the foot in barefootin' put more pressure in that spot and angered it. So now I'm not running (grumble grumble grumble) and am icing, elevating, and swearing.

Anyone who knows me knows I am not the most patient guy. So being delayed in my progress is killing me and forcing me to find other ways to keep motivated. So I've been reading; I've consumed two barefoot running-related books recently. Well, finished one motivational, working through another more instructional now.
Best read in a long while

Born To Run is the one I just finished, and it was unbelievably good. Mrs. M is set to read it once the school year ends and I predict it will hit her similarly*. The book is about running, and discussed barefoot running a bit, but is more a criticism of modern running shoes and their negative impact on our knees, ankles and feet. Beyond that, it's a story of great human accomplishment and relationships across cultural lines. The culminating event of the book is a race between top American ultratrunners(100? MILES??? RUNNING?!?!?!?!) and the Tarahumara people of Mexico's Copper Canyon region. The Tarahumara (thanks, Wikipedia!) are among the world's most running-centric societies, covering long distances in steep terrain at amazing speed, wearing little more on their feet than a strip of old tire rubber held in place with a cord. Seriously, read this book; it's that good, even if you aren't a runner.

The other is a barefoot running instructional book. It's probably only interesting if you want to try barefooting. Leave a comment if you're interested and I'll hit you with the details.

Summer's finally here, so I need to go ice my foot and get back to form. Later!
*I make no claim that anyone else should try barefoot running. It's a personal decision and not for everyone. It is for me and I dig it. You probably would too if you tried it but whatever. I'm not the boss of you. make your own decisions but, please, do the research and take it slow if you do try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment