Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm an idiot

And I have the book to prove it.

It's been a crazy week, to be sure. I was still hurting a bit and didn't get to run for several days. Bummer one, because the last thing I need right now is a momentum killer with my history of great starts followed by rapid not finishing. Bummer two came in the form of a letter from my doc, telling me my blood tests called me out as prediabetic. Yeah. I didn't know what the hell that meant either,so I freaked out. I thought I was on the fast track to diabetic living.

Not exciting.

So, of course I went to the Google to determine how bad this was really going to be. And I got more concerned. I should note here that EVERY source I have found on barefoot running says diabetics should not attempt. This would not do. I was am excited and motivated to run for the first time in eons and now I'm reading my feet may fall off (for reals). What the heck?! Luckily, I had a doctor's appointment already scheduled for the busted foot; I brought the test results sheet with me to chat over since my foot is already feeling much better...

Cue the Vincent Price music.

Turns out my doc is pretty laid back and put me at ease right away. My numbers were barely at the cutoff for prediabetes so I just need to be mindful of what I eat (I try...) and stay active (I do OK). The big thing is barefoot is A-O.K. I am, per the MD, not at any risk of losing sensation or other associated issues the internet terrorized me with. That stuff is generally a problem for severely diabetic individuals who are not treating their condition. That will not be a problem for me. I'm making sure to make improved food choices and stay active, both running and biking. Again Barefoot is a Go!

I was so happy after my appointment I kicked off my shoes and ran a barefoot half-mile before dinner.


It felt great!

 Dig it. I'm back!

No comments:

Post a Comment