Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Five(5): Distractions

Have I mentioned that school is back in full swing for me? With school comes lots of work; some meaningful, some just silly and time consuming. I combat that with any number of distractions. These distractions also help keep me sane when the workload gets too crazy. So, in no particular order, here are my top five distractions.

1. Reading. Reading for pleasure always beats out required reading any time. I usually have a couple books and any number of magazines going at any given time. I can remove myself from the current workload in moments when I open a good book.
Man, i loved that show!

2. The interwebs. I read a lot of blogs and participate in some online discussion groups. Most are not professional development in nature (though most of the running blogs I read are written by teachers...). I also research anything that comes to mind. Google is the best thing that ever happened to me; I can enter any thing I'm thinking of and find tons of random information on that topic. I also feel it makes me a better researcher for those times I have to research for school/work type stuff.
Pretty much...

3. Running. I have fallen in love with running all over again and I look forward to my chances to go for a run. Not only does it get me away from my work, it allows me to clear my head and reset for when I get back to it. It's a twofer!
this just makes me want to go...now.

4. Family fun time! I love to take Stinky to the bookstore, or wrestle GoGo around the living room. This also drifts back to reading, since Stinky and I do a lot of read-alouds (we just started the first Harry Potter book. I don't know which of us is more excited). My family are my favorite people and I can usually be pulled off of work stuff to pay attention to them.
Yay family time!
5. TV. I am an unashamed TV fan. I tried to ditch the satellite/Cable last year and just go to the channels we could get with an antenna. Yeah. That lasted days. We aren't glued to the TV in our house, but our DVR runs hot. We record a lot of stuff and watch it when we have the time. Right now, the cable channels' series are taking my favorite spots (the Walking Dead, anyone?!) but I love all kinds of TV.
Season 2 can't get here soon enough!

There you go. How I waste time. Some would argue that this blog is a big contributor. I'm not saying that many of my posts fall on school-work days, but only because you can't prove it!

No comments:

Post a Comment