Monday, August 22, 2011

Things are looking up

I posted Friday that I was becoming really frustrated with my running progress (or seeming lack thereof). After I looked at my week's runs I realized I was making mountains out of molehills.

I ran four of five days last week! anywhere from a 1.5 miler to 2.5 miles. No wonder my legs felt dead and I thought my feet had been attacked by a belt sander! I was so frustrated with Friday's run, but Saturday's felt great, as did today. I'm still slow (10-11 minute miles), but I am getting stronger and becoming a better runner. I'm pretty psyched about it and hope to keep it going.

There's a lesson in here, both about running and about life; sometimes your big breakthroughs come right after your most frustrating days. Of course, if your most frustrating day stops you in your tracks you won't hit the breakthrough. All this is to say, when the going gets tough, keep going! It's not always as easily done as said, I know. The payoff is almost always worth the struggle it took to get there.

I'm sure, over the next year of my life, I'll need to refer back to that last paragraph many (MANY) times. I will face challenges new to me in many areas (running and professionally) and will have to remind myself to keep pushing on to make sure I get to the breakthrough.

The philosophy lecture has now ended. you may now return to your regularly scheduled business.

No comments:

Post a Comment